Saturday, November 14, 2009

IECA Conference Charlotte, NC

I have just spent a wonderful week doing what I love to do. I have visited eight wonderfully different college campuses, attended some very stimulating workshops in which I learned about adolescents, educational innovations, admissions changes, and many other things which I am looking forward to using with my clients when I return home. What makes all this even more special is the opportunity to do all this with colleagues and friends from IECA.

Early this week I was visited Davidson College, Elon University, High Point University, Queens University, UNC- Charlotte, and UNC-School of the Arts. Each college was very generous to share with us their time and to make sure that we understood their particular niche in the college landscape as well as to tell us about the students who would be a good fit for their particular academic programs. Today, along with two friends from IECA, we drove from the conference hotel to Wake Forest University and Guilford University since we could not be so close and not see these wonderful schools. While spending hours on a bus or in a car may not sound like much fun to many people, for the IECA consultant, it is a pleasure because doing this allows us to expand our knowledge which in turn makes us a more valuable asset to the students we serve.

At the conference, I was privileged to hear two wonderful keynote speakers, Daniel Pink and Nido Quebin. Both are noted authors and each delivered inspiring addresses that both informed and entertained the audience. Mr. Pink discussed the need for us to prepare students "for their future and not for our pasts." Mr. Quebin, President of High Point University, shared with us his vision for High Point and the philosophy that lay behind his plans for this beautiful college. Both are unique and imbued with the common sense approach that offers the wisdom of allowing students to live in environments to which they can aspire as they grow and to give them a high quality education at the same time. Each of them pointed out the need for us to educate students for the future as it will exist in the world that they will inhabit as adults and not for the world for which we were educated since these are vastly different places.

Every time I attend an IECA conference, I return to my work re-energized and enthusiastic about the work I do and the students whose lives I touch. What a great way to make a living and a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment